How to choose an outdoor camping tent
As one of the most important items for camping, especially for camping novices, there must be many questions about choosing a tent. Faced with many types of tents in the market, I don’t know how to choose. Let's learn knowledge about the outdoor camping tent together.
- First of all, we must first understand what types of camping tents are available?
Triangular tent: The front and back use herringbone iron pipes as the support, the middle frame is connected by a cross bar that the inner tent is supported, and the outer tent can be installed. This is the most common tent style in the early days.
Dome-shaped tent (also known as yurt-style): It adopts double pole cross support, which is relatively easy to disassemble and assemble. It is currently the most popular style on the market.
Hexagonal tent: It adopts three-pole or four-pole cross to support, and some adopts six-pole design which pays attention to the stability of the tent. It is a common style of "mountain-type" tents.
Boat bottom-shaped tent: After being assembled, it looks like a boat turned upside down. It can be divided into two poles and three poles different support methods. Generally, the middle is the bedroom and the two ends are the hall tents. The design pays attention to the wind flow line, which is also common tent style.
Ridge tent: Shaped like an independent small tiled house, usually supported by four corners with four columns which a ridge-like structural roof is built. This kind of tent is generally tall and heavy, suitable for motorists or relatively fixed field operations which often used for camping, so it is called a car tent. Generally suitable for multi-person use, you can refer to the family tent of BAREBONES.
What are the different structures and uses of different tents?
The structure of the tent includes: single room structure and hall canopy type. The space of the single room structure is designed only for sleeping with emphasis on reducing the volume and weight.
The tent of the hall-canopy structure is an outer hall with a canopy in addition to the sleeping space and to be more advantageous in terms of wind and rain, it also provides space for existing equipment.
In order to adapt to different temperature environments, tents are divided into single-layer, double-layer, and three-layer structures.
What are the different uses of tents of different fabrics?
Materials can be divided into fabrics, linings, bottom materials, struts, etc. Generally speaking, fabrics with different labels have different densities, so the tensile strength and waterproof pressure are also different.
Camping and climbing tents generally use light and thin polyester, nylon, polyester-cotton breathable fabrics.
The advantage of polyester cotton is good moisture absorption, but the disadvantage is that it is easy to mold;
The advantage of polyester and nylon is easy care.
Some inner tents are large-area mesh fabrics, which have the advantage of good ventilation, but the disadvantage is Very easy to transmit light. In summer, only the inner tent is used, and the inside can be clearly seen from the outside.
How to choose a tent in different environments?
Selection of tent types. If it is in a harsh environment, you should choose a four-season tent, which can resist wind and rain, and the strength is relatively high. If it is general camping and travel, you can choose a three-season tent.
The structure of the tent.
According to the function of the tent, if it is sleeping, use a single room, and if it wants more space, use the hall canopy. Choose tents with different layers according to the temperature environment.
Summary: What factors should be considered when choosing a tent?
- Choose the inner tent and strive for good air permeability.
- Choose a foreign tent to strive for high waterproof. You can blow the fabric with your mouth to test its breathability. Generally speaking, if the breathability is poor, the waterproofness will be good.
- It is best to choose a shed with a door, or consider a larger size. Large spaces are more conducive to activity and avoid feeling depressed.
- The choice of base material should pay attention to waterproofness and abrasion resistance. It is inevitable that you will encounter rainy weather outdoors. Choose a tent with high waterproofness to avoid the trouble of rainy weather.
- Choosing a support rod with high strength and good resilience can ensure safety when encountering harsh weather and environment.
- Choosing a tent with front and rear double doors is more conducive to ventilation and ensures air circulation in the tent.
- For camping tents, it is best to choose a double-layer structure or more.
When you purchasing, it is generally based on factors such as the climate and environment in which you are camping.